Thursday, May 12, 2011

adventures in dialing....




I'm not very good with numbers. They just don't stick in my head. They get all mixed up when ever I try to shoot them out of my brain on to paper or the computer keys OR the phone!! Actually phone numbers are the worst for me. I have never memorized a phone number in my life. I will carefully look the number up, write it down precisely, and then check three times as I dial to make sure I've dialed correctly. It's something I've trained mysef to do. After many years, I rarely make a mistake.

I work in an office and I am on the phone all day. That's what I do! I have awesome phone communication skills; "a very pleasant telephone manner". It's just getting connected that is a struggle for me.

I also keep my handy dandy i-phone right by my computer so that I can keep in touch with my family. I will often check text messages and even answer it when it rings during the day. I love my i-phone!
So the other day as I was winding down at work, I remembered that I needed to call Katie to give her a message. I picked up the office handset and thought for a moment and realized I could dial her number without looking it up because I was sure I KNEW IT OFF BY HEART!

As I was waiting for Katie to pick up, my cellphone rang. I thought to myself; "I can quickly tell whoever is on the cell I'll call right back and then I'll just give Katie the message and I'll be good to go."

So I put the cell to my right ear and kept the office handset in my left ear and proceeded to multi-task like a genius! "Hello?" I spoke into the cell. "Hello?" echoed in my office handset.

O brother- both phones were answered at the same time! "Hello?" I spoke clearly into the i-phone just in case whoever was calling hadn't heard. "Hello?"echoed right back at me.

"What the HECK?!" was my frantic thought. "What's going on with these STUPID phones??!!"

Then I looked at the caller ID on the i-phone and my old brain started to calculate what was going on...
You guessed it! I had inadvertently dialed my own number! I was talking to myself! baha

I hung up on myself; carefully looked up Katie's number and dialed from the handset.

Message delivered. Lesson learned.

3 comments:

  1. hahaha. this is totally one of those times that you look around and go hmm did anyone see that...? i am totally the same with numbers though. they do NOT stick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear there is another one of those "senior moments" The good thing is that you have been having senior moments for years so we are all used to it now.

    ReplyDelete