Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Miracle-Suit (part 2)

As I was peeling myself out of my "miracle suit" the other day, my thoughts drifted back to my childhood swimming lessons. I learned to swim (adequately) and I can still float and paddle around with ease so I'm thankful for the lessons. But it was the water safety portion of my training that popped into my mind as I struggled to release myself from the confines of my miraculous swimwear. "Always swim with a buddy..."

Before my miracle-suit I had that advice safely stored in my memory. I could take it or leave it...without serious consequence. However, it has become very clear to me recently that there was (and is) extraordinary wisdom in that recommendation.

While my suit is extremely comfortable and clearly amazing to wear (wobbly bits tuck in neatly; nothing rides up, nothing falls down) it is, without question, a two man job to get it on!

I remember Dolly Parton (before her crazy diet and all that plastic surgery) jumping up from her table at some awards show to make an acceptance speech and her dress split open at the seams. She covered herself with a jacket and made her way to the microphone where, in her sweet, charming style explained, "It's like my daddy always says; you should never try to stuff 50 pounds of potatoes in a 10 pound sack."

...unless it's a miracle-suit.....

It's hard work to make the fabric do what I need it to do; what it was designed to do. It's especially difficult since I injured my left arm earlier in the spring and quite frankly, I'm simply not nearly as strong or flexible as I used to be. That's why I'm thankful for a "buddy" readily available to pull, poke and tug whenever (and wherever) I require assistance. 

So as much as I love and appreciate my miracle-suit, I really love and appreciate my swimming buddy. Thanks for all the support, you two. 

...my newest miracle suit
and my buddy...

1 comment:

  1. I was delighted to read your post I remember your family from Millwoods and it is nice to see how it has grown.

    ReplyDelete