Tuesday, April 10, 2012

adventures in chip making


A couple months ago Sara was perusing a Victorian Epicure catalogue that was hanging around one of the dental offices where she was temping. She called me that day and asked excitedly, "Don't you know someone who sells Epicure? and couldn't you order me one of these? I've gotta have a chipster!!"
I looked it up online and read some reviews and decided we both NEEDED a chipster. So I called my lady and ordered two! I thought it had to be a fantastic product because it was on back order and so I settled in to wait for the chipster to arrive.

I picked it up tonight (finally!) and drove to the store to get a sweet potato to try out my new machine. I LOVE sweet potato fries and this chipster seemed like a great, healthy way to indulge.
It even came with a recipe and seasoning suggestions.

As I was cooking up batch after batch I couldn't quite pinpoint exactly what wasn't quite right. With most recipes and new techniques I've got to try a couple of different things before I get it just the way I like it.

Jordan and his wife happened by in the middle of my "chipstering" and so they were the perfect guinea pigs to try out the chips.

After the second batch I suggested, "Maybe we need to try a different seasoning."

After that batch I said, "Maybe I need to try a different time in the microwave."

Then,"Maybe I need to try a thicker slice."

Finally Jordan looked at me solemnly and said, "Maybe you need to try..... the DEEP FRYER."

YUP! That's exactly what my healthy chips were missing. So I pulled out the deep fryer and we chowed down on the homemade sweet potato chips. At least they're gluten free.



2 comments:

  1. what? so it's not as great as it looks in the epicure magazine?! i'm sorely disappointed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm I think if you tried normal potatoes it might be a better taste. And since when do we care about healthy when eating POTATO CHIPS?!?

    ReplyDelete